1. Which of the following statements is correct?
A. The average kinetic enemy of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature
B. At constant temperature, the volume of a gas increases as the pressure increases.
C. The pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume.
D. The temperature of gas is directly proportional to its volume.
2. Which are the correct IUPAC names for H– CO2CH3 and CH ≡ CH
A. Methyl methanoate and ethene
B. Metanoic acid and ethyne
C. Ethyl methanoate and ethyne
D. Methyl methanoate and ethyne
3. A solution X on mixing with AgNO3 solution, gives a white precipitate soluble in NH3(aq). A solution Y, when added to X, also gives a white precipitate which is soluble on boiling. Solution Y contains
A. Ag+ ion
B. Pb2+ ion
C. Pb4+ ion
D. Zn2+ ion
4. Methane is a member of the homologous series called
5. Which of the following bonds exists in crystalline ammonium chloride (NH4CL)?
A. ionic covalent
B. ionic and co-ordinate
C. ionic, covalent and co- ordinate
D. covalent, co-ordinate and metallic.
6. Some copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate (CuSO4 5H2O), was heated at 120°C with the following results:
Wt of crucible =10.00 g;
Wt of crucible + CuSO4.5H2O =14.98g;
Wt of crucible + residue = 13.54g.
How many molecules of water of crystallization were lost? [H= 1, Cu = 63.5, O =16, S = 32]
Which of the curves shown above represents the relationships between the volume (v) and pressure (p) of an ideal gas at constant temperature?
8. 12.0g of a mixture of potassium carbonate and potassium chloride were dissolved in a 250cm3 standard flask. 25cm3 of this solution required 40.00cm3 of 0.1 M HCI r neutralization. What is the percentage by weight of K2CO3 in the mixture (K = 39, O = 16, C= 12)
9. Which of the following, groups of physical properties increases from left to right of the Periodic Table?
1. Ionization energy
2. Atomic radius
4. Electron affinity
A. 1 and 2
B. 1, 2 and 3
C. 3 and 4
D. 1,2, 3 and 4
10.An element Z, contained 90% of and 10% of . Its relative atomic mass is
11.What are the possible oxidation numbers for an element if its atomic number is 17?
A. -1 and 7
B. -1 and 6
C. -3 and 5
D. -2 and 6
12.How many valence electrons are contained in the element represented by ?
13.10.0 dm3 of air containing H2S as an impurity was passed through a solution of Pb(NO3)2 until all the H2S had reacted. The precipitate of PbS was found to weigh 5.02 g. According to the equation:
Pb(NO3)2 + H2S → PbS + 2HNO3
The percentage by volume of hydrogen sulphide in the air is
14. A quantity of air was passed through a weighed amount of alkaline pyrogallol. An increase in the weight of the pyrogallol would result from the absorption of
15. Water for town supply is chlorinated to make it free from
A. bad odour
C. temporary hardness
D. permanent hardness
16. 4.0 g of sodium hydroxide in 250 cm3 of solution contains
A. 0.40 moles per dm3
B. 0.10 moles per dm3
C. 0.04 moles per dm3
D. 0.02 moles per dm3
17. A major effect of oil pollution in coastal waters is the
A. destruction of marine life
B. desalination of the water
C. increase in the acidity of the water
D. detoxification of the water
18. In general, an increase in temperature increases the solubility of a solute in water because
A. more solute molecules collide with each other
B. most solutes dissolve with the evolution of heat
C. more solute molecules dissociate at higher temperatures
D. most solutes dissolve with absorption of heat.
19. The relatively high boiling points of alkanols are due to
A. ionic bonding
B. aromatic character
C. covalent bonding
D. hydrogen bonding.
20. Given that 15.00 cm3 of H2SO4 was required to completely neutralize 25.00cm3 of 0.125 mol dm3 NaOH, calculate the molar concentration of the acid solution
A. 0.925 mol dm3
B. 0.156 mol dm3
C. 0.104 mol dm3
D. 0.023 mol dm3
21. What volume of 0.1 mol dm3 solution of tetraoxosulphate (VI) acid would be needed to dissolve 2.86g of sodium trioxocarbonate (IV) decahydrate crystals?
[H = 1, C = 12, O = 16, S= 32, Na 23].
22. The solution with the lowest pH value is
A. 5ml of M/10 HCl
B. 10ml of M/10HCl
C. 15ml of M/5 HCl
D 20ml of M/8 HCl
23. In which order are the following salts sensitive to light?
A. Agl > AgCl > AgBr
B. AgCl> Agl > AgBr
C. AgBr > AgCI > Agl
D. AgCI > AgBr > Agl
24. A metal m displaces Zinc from Zinc chloride solution. This shows that
A. M is more electronegative than Zinc
B. Zinc is above hydrogen in the series.
C. M is more electropositive than zinc.
D. electrons flow from zinc to m.
25. Steam changes the colour of anhydrous cobalt (II) chloride from
(A) blue to pink
(B) white to red
(C) white to green
(D) blue to white
26. When at equilibrium, which of the reactions below will shift to the right if the pressure is increased and the temperature is kept constant?
A. 2SO3(g) ⇋ 2SO2(g) + O2(g)
B. 2CO2(g) ⇋ 2CO(g) + O2(g)
C. 2H2(g) + O2(g) ⇋ 2H2O(g)
D. 2NO(g) ⇋ N2(g) + O2(g)
27. 2CO(g) + O2(g) → 2CO2(g)
Given that ΔH [CO] is -110.4 kJmol-1 and ΔH [CO2] is -393.0 kJmol-1, the energy change for the reaction above is
A. -503.7 kJ
B. -282.6 kJ
C. +282.6 kJ
D. +503.7 kJ
28. Which of these properties gives a solid its definite shape?
A. Strong intermolecular attraction
B. High melting point
C. High boiling point
D. Weak intermolecular attraction
29. When a crystal was added to the clear solution of its salt, the crystal did not dissolve and the solution remained unchanged. This showed that the solution was
30. If the electron configuration of an element is 1s22s22p5, how many unpaired electrons are there?
31. The substance that is used in the steel industry for the removal of carbon, sulphur and phosphorus impurities from pig iron is
32. Hydrogen sulphide gas can act as
A. an oxidizing agent
B. a dehydrating agent
C. a bleaching agent
D. a precipitating agent.
33. Which of the following is used as a rocket fuel?
34.The bleaching action of chlorine is effective due to the presence of
A. Hydrogen chloride
35. Mineral acids are usually added to commercial hydrogen peroxide to
A. Oxidize it
B. decompose it
C. minimize its decomposition
D. reduce it to water and oxygen.
36. Aluminium containers are frequently used to transport trioxonitrate (v) acid because aluminium
A. has a low density
B. does not react with the acid
C. does not corrode
D. has a silvery - white appearance
37. Ethyne is passed through a hot tube containing organo-nickel catalyst to produce
38. The process of converting starch to ethanol is
39. An endothermic reaction is one during which heat is ____and can be represented by the symbol____. Which of the following combinations can be used accurately to complete the above definition?
A. liberated -ΔH
B. liberated +ΔH
C. absorbed -ΔH
D. absorbed +ΔH
40. Consider the following exothermic reaction
2SO2(g) + O2(g) ⇋ 2SO3(g).
If the temperature of the reaction is reduced from 800°C to 500°C, and no other change takes place, then
A. the reaction rate increases
B. concentration of SO2 decreases
C. concentration of SO2 increases
D. SO2 gas becomes unreactive